H.E. Dr. Sidi Ould Salem
Minister of Higher Education, Scientific Research and Technologies of Information and Communication
Author of a thesis defended at the University of Lyon I in 1995, His Excellency Sidi ould Salem joined the Faculty of Science and Technology of the University of Nouakchott as Professor of Physics since 1996.
- Minister of Higher Education, of Scientific Research, and of Information and communication technologies since August 2019. Spokesman of government.
- 1991-1995: PhD Thesis in Material Science at the University of Lyon I (France), on the realization and characterization of planar waveguides in the LiNbO3;
- 1990-1991: Post-graduate Diploma in Material Science at the University of Lyon I (France);
- 1988-1989: Master’s Degree in Physics and Applications at the University of Bourgogne (Dijon-France);
- 1987-1988: Bachelor’s Degree in Physics and Applications, Majoring in Microprocessor and Optical and Digital Signal Processing;
- 1986-1987:Associate’s Degree at the University of Dijon (France);
- 1983-1984: Baccalaureate in Science at the Secondary School of Rosso (Mauritania).
- Minister of Higher Education and Scientific Research from 21 August 2014 to Août 2019. Major structural and organizational reforms are underway.
- Special Adviser to the President of the Republic, effective 12 May 2014.
- Minister of Finance in the transitional government (June-August 2009).
- Director General of SOCOGIM [Construction and Real Estate Management Company] (21 September 2005 – 5 February 2009).
- Professor of Physics at the Faculty of Science and Technology of the University of Nouakchott since 1996. This is a teaching/research enhancement position of the experience gained since the beginning of my postgraduate studies in France.
- Coordinator of the upper secondary Fundamental Physics Stream since 1998 and member, in this capacity, of the Pedagogical Committee in charge of the curriculum and assessment development and the evaluation of the course delivery conditions.
The minister is currently working in developing strategies and programs for Higher Education and scientific research sector such as setting up institutional structures that guarantee the quality of higher education processes and working for the valorization of research. The final aim is to consolidate the education system and adapt it to international standards seeking for foreign universities accreditation.
One of his objectives also, the improvement of professional higher education system in order to adapt to the needs of the country, especially after the gas discovery, to other important sectors as mining.
Among the Ministry’s duties are also the development of a national policy for scientific research as well as setting the conditions to access easily to public and private higher education establishments.